MAIN COURSE, SIDE DISH, WORLD CUISINEJump to Recipe Jump to Video
So, here is a vegan coconut stir-fried cabbage recipe from my childhood that mom used to make often. And I did not realize the ease and simplicity of this recipe until I started cooking it for my family.
HISTORY ON VEGAN COCONUT STIR-FRIED CABBAGE
This dish from South of India – Kerala, has cabbage as the superstar. Cabbage is the most versatile vegetable and this recipe is anything but basic. This is a close version of the authentic Cabbage Poriyal, as it uses fresh ingredients such as homegrown curry leaves (Yes, I have a huge Curry plant growing that I absolutely adore), fresh coconut with mild tempering from mustard seeds, and some lentils.
A lot of families in Kerala also use red chilies and tamarind to make this recipe. However, I omitted red chilies to bring down the spice level and tamarind for its tanginess.
WHAT MAKES IT A QUICK & VEGAN FRIENDLY RECIPE??
- Mainly because cabbage cooks fast and is done in about 8 -10 minutes.
- This recipe uses minimal spices giving it a certain flavor & aroma, without overwhelming the senses. The fresh grated coconut gives it a juicy and subtle sweetness that results in a dish that is simple yet palate ticking.
- This recipe is vegan-friendly as it is dairy free and only contains 21 calories per 1 cup of serving.
It will not take a lot of time to cook this dish. Firstly, you need a food processor to pulsate the cabbage & secondly, some freshly grated or thawed coconut (if using you are using frozen one). We do not use extra water to cook this dish as cabbage naturally has a lot of water content, that will be released under high heat. You can use this recipe as an entrée or as a side dish. The recipe uses both thicker outer greens as well as the tender inner leaves
CHECK OUT OUR VIDEO!!
Need step-by-step instructions and all the details, checkout my video below for all that and a lot more recipes. Excited about receiving new, interesting recipe emails in your inbox? Simply subscribe to my website and my YouTube channel and click on notifications bell!
Vegan Coconut Stir-Fried Cabbage
- 4 Cups Cabbage, finely chopped
- ¾ Cup Onion, finely chopped
- ½ Tbsp Ginger, finely chopped
- ⅓ Cup Coconut, grated Fresh or Frozen
- 1 Green chili, chopped
- ½ Cup Cilantro, chopped
- 10-15 leaves Curry Leaves Fresh
- ½ Tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 Tbsp Split Black Gram
- ½ + ½ Tsp Salt
- ¼ Tsp Turmeric Powder
- a pinch Asafoetida powder
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- Finely chop an onion to get ¾ Cup
- Finely chop a cabbage to get 4 Cups (tightly packed)
- Put 2 Tbsp oil in a pan on medium heat
- Add 1 tablespoon split Bengal gram in the hot oil
- Once the gram turns lightly brown, add ½ Tsp mustard seeds in store
- Add a pinch of asafoetida powder
- Add ½ Tbsp chopped ginger
- Add 15 to 20 Curry leaves and stir
- Add ¾ Cup finely chopped onions
- Add ½ Tsp salt and stir for 2 minutes on medium heat
- Add 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Add one chopped green chili
- Add 4 cups off chopped cabbage and mix thoroughly
- Add another ½ Tsp of salt and mix
- Add 1/3 Cup grated coconut and stir on low heat
- Add ½ Cup of chopped cilantro and mix
- Cover with a lid and cook on low heat for 3-4 minutes
- Turn off the heat, coconut stir fried cabbage is now ready to be served
- Realistically, everyone is super busy these days and prepping for meals takes up a lot of time.
- I usually prep a day before I intend to cook a certain dish. In this case, you can pulsate the cabbage; wash & dry it before storing in the fridge.
- Another thing I do is chop up the onions and ginger before storing. Believe me, a little planning goes a long way and keeps you out of the stress zone.
Liked this recipe? Leave a comment, rate it, follow us on Instagram @RecipeForte
Making this recipe?? Share a photo, tag with #recipeforte so we can share what you’re cooking!
Looking for more entrée recipes? Click here.