Healthy Vegan Spread | Gluten-free | Low-Carb
Jump to Recipe Jump to Video
Roasted Beetroot & Walnut Hummus is a colorful and delish replacement to classic chickpeas hummus. Some people also call it Beetroot pesto. This dish is vegetarian, low-carb, vegan & keto friendly (when consumed in moderation). This bright hummus makes for a great spread on toasts and as a dip to enjoy with a veggie platter.
For this particular recipe I used oven Roasted beets. If you are pressed with time you can use pre-cooked beets from the grocery store too. I am particularly fond of roasting the beets as it helps in retaining its firmness while keeping it rich. No more boiling the beets for me!
HOW TO OVEN ROAST BEETS FOR BEETROOT & WALNUT HUMMUS?
Another important point I wanted to touch upon through this article is “Why we should NOT oven roasted the beets in FOIL?”. For the simple fact that, the ONLY metal you should be putting in your body is Iron aka Fe. When you wrap any food product in aluminum foil, the aluminum leaches onto the food and ends up inside the body once consumed. The simple solution to this issue is to use parchment paper, like this one here. Simply cut a 10″ x 13″ of parchment paper to line the 9″ x 12″ disposable aluminium foil tray before putting the veggies in.
In case you are wondering how to oven roast beets…just refer to the below video – “Roasted Beets with Sour Cream”.
I recently had friends over for Saturday lunch and this roasted beetroot & walnut hummus turned out to be a winner.
Planning a party at home or looking to take a conversation starter to the next potluck party invite this recipe will definitely not let you down. You can also check my other recipes – Salads That Don’t Suck! that are a big party hit.
Roasted Beets & Walnuts Hummus
- 1 Cup Red beets, roughly chopped
- ½ Cup Walnuts
- ½ Cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 2 Tbsp. Lemon juice
- ½ Cup Olive oil + 1 Tbsp. for garnishing
- ½ Tsp Salt, adjust to taste
- ½ Tsp Ground black pepper, adjust to taste
- Cut roasted beets into large chunks. 2. In a processor, add beets, walnuts, grated parmesan, lemon juice, and olive oil.3. Blend till a smooth puree texture is achieved. Scrape the sides of the blender to release any chunks.4. Add water, if the texture is coarse.5. Add salt & pepper.6. Blend again to mix thoroughly.7. Check consistency & taste. Add a little water or seasoning if needed.8. Garnish with olive oil, nuts, sesame seeds or herbs before serving 9. Serve with pita chips, toast or a veggie platter.
- Turn this recipe vegan by using vegan friendly parmesan cheese such as FOLLOW YOUR HEART PARMESAN CHEESE
Leave a Reply