“To soak or not to soak” that is the question!
Have you come across people saying that soaking almonds overnight & eating it the next morning is better than eating raw almonds, or vice versa? I’m sure, you must have. Do you find it perplexing? If you answered yes, then please continue reading.
As we are all aware, almonds are well-known for their health advantages, which include a high protein, high-fiber, and omega-3 content. However, there appears to be some confusion over consumption of soaked vs. raw almonds. Let’s finally put an end to the age-old debate over soaked vs. raw almonds and explain why one is preferred over the other.
But first, we should look at the nutritional value of almonds before discussing the differences and potential health benefits between the two.
THE NUTRIENT FACTOR
Almonds have a rich nutrient profile and are considered a SUPERFOOD! They are rich in vitamin E, dietary fibers, omega-3 fatty acids, omega-6 fatty acids and protein. Almonds contain protein, which keeps you fuller for longer. Below are some of the other benefits of consuming almonds:
- They also contain manganese, that helps strengthen your bones and manage blood sugar. They are highly beneficial for patients who have high blood pressure. Almonds also aid with muscle and nerve function.
- Soaked almonds help in releasing enzymes, called lipase that helps in digestion of fats.
- Almonds are one of the healthiest mid-meal snacks. Almond’s monosaturated fats suppress your appetite and keep you satiated for longer. Consuming them can help you avoid binge eating and lose weight.
- Eating almonds protect your heart by lowering bad cholesterol (LDL) and increasing good cholesterol (HDL).
- They contain vitamin E, which acts as an antioxidant, preventing free radical damage and thereby preventing aging and inflammation.
- Almonds aid in the fight against cancer as they are high in Vitamin B17, which is essential in the fight against cancer. Almonds contain a flavonoid that can help suppress tumor growth.
- Aside from that, almonds also contain folic acid, which aids in the prevention of birth abnormalities.
WHAT ROUTE TO GO? IS SOAKING ALMONDS GOOD FOR YOU?
Choosing between soaked and raw almonds is not just a matter of taste, but picking up the healthier option. Soaking the almonds is better because the peel of the almonds contain tannins, that inhibits nutrients absorption. The process of soaking makes it easier to peel off the almond skin. Soaking allows the nuts to release the nutrients easily & also activates the antioxidants in the almonds, just how it is with soaking any other nuts.
Soaked almonds are softer to chew, sweeter to taste & easier to digest, which again helps in better nutrients absorption. The raw almonds should usually be soaked for six to eight hours, or overnight is okay too.
THE CORRECT WAY TO SOAK ALMONDS
- Take a cup full of water & soak a handful of almonds in it.
- Cover the cup and let the almonds soak for six to eight hours.
- Drain the water off next morning, peel off the skin and eat them fresh.
- In case you are trying to make fresh homemade almond flour, follow the link here on the nitty gritty involved.
- Store the newly peeled ones in an air-tight container & keep in the refrigerator for about 2-3 days, it will keep the freshness intact.
It is noteworthy to mention that you can still eat raw almonds even if you fail to soak them overnight.
The fact that you didn’t soak them isn’t a good enough justification to eliminate the nutrient-dense almonds from your diet.