“To soak or not to soak” that is the question!
Have you come across people saying that soaking almonds overnight & eating it the next morning is better than eating raw almonds, or vice versa? I’m sure, you must have. Do you find it perplexing? If you answered yes, then please continue reading.
As we are all aware, almonds are well-known for their health advantages, which include a high protein, high-fiber, and omega-3 content. However, there appears to be some confusion over consumption of soaked vs. raw almonds. Let’s finally put an end to the age-old debate over soaked vs. raw almonds and explain why one is preferred over the other.
But first, we should look at the nutritional value of almonds before discussing the differences and potential health benefits between the two.
THE NUTRIENT FACTOR
Almonds have a rich nutrient profile and are considered a SUPERFOOD! They are rich in vitamin E, dietary fibers, omega-3 fatty acids, omega-6 fatty acids and protein. Almonds contain protein, which keeps you fuller for longer. Below are some of the other benefits of consuming almonds:
- They also contain manganese, that helps strengthen your bones and manage blood sugar. They are highly beneficial for patients who have high blood pressure. Almonds also aid with muscle and nerve function.
- Soaked almonds help in releasing enzymes, called lipase that helps in digestion of fats.
- Almonds are one of the healthiest mid-meal snacks. Almond’s monosaturated fats suppress your appetite and keep you satiated for longer. Consuming them can help you avoid indulging in over eating and help you lose weight.
- Eating almonds protect your heart by lowering bad cholesterol (LDL) and increasing good cholesterol (HDL).
- They contain vitamin E, which acts as an antioxidant, preventing free radical damage and thereby preventing aging and inflammation.
- Almonds aid in the fight against cancer as they are high in Vitamin B17, which is essential in the fight against cancer. Almonds contain a flavonoid that can help suppress tumor growth.
- Aside from that, almonds also contain folic acid, which aids in the prevention of birth abnormalities.
WHAT ROUTE TO GO? IS SOAKING ALMONDS GOOD FOR YOU?
Choosing between soaked and raw almonds is not just a matter of taste, but picking up the healthier option. Soaking the almonds is better because the peel of the almonds contain tannins, that inhibits nutrients absorption. The process of soaking, makes it easier to peel off the almond skin. Soaking allows the nuts to release the nutrients easily & also activates the antioxidants in the almonds, just how it is with soaking any other nuts.
Soaked almonds are softer to chew, sweeter to taste & easier to digest, which again helps in better nutrients absorption. The raw almonds should usually be soaked for six to eight hours, or overnight is okay too.
THE CORRECT WAY TO SOAK ALMONDS
- Take a cup full of water & soak a handful of almonds in it.
- Cover the cup and let the almonds soak for six to eight hours.
- Drain the water off next morning, peel off the skin and eat them fresh.
- Make Fresh Homemade Almond Flour, follow the recipe to understand the nitty gritty involved.
- Store the newly peeled ones in an airtight container & keep in the refrigerator for about 2-3 days, it will keep the freshness intact.
- 1 container, with lid
- 1 Cup Raw almonds, Unsalted
- 2 Cups Water, to soak
- Add almonds in a container
- Pour water, make sure almonds are completely soaked in the water.
- Cover with the lid.
- Leave the almonds soaked for at least 8 hours.
- Drain the cloudy water when ready to peel and consume almonds.
- The skin turns really soft and will peel off easily.
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
- Eat these mildly sweet and nutty almonds first thing in the morning on empty stomach to get the maximum benefit.
- Forgot to drain water after 8 hours of soaking??! Worry not! Simply drain off the murky water and rinse with fresh water a couple of times before peeling the skin and consuming.
- When almonds are soaked in water, tannins and oils are released, making the water unhealthy to consume. Discard the murky water and do not use it for any other purposes.
- It is noteworthy to mention that you can still eat raw almonds even if you fail to soak them overnight.
- Do not have time in the morning to peel the almonds??!! It is an easy fix! Follow this routine – Soak the almonds when you leave for work in the morning, peel the almonds in the evening, store in refrigerator in an air-tight container with a lid. Just wake up and eat a minimum of 8-10 almonds a day to reap the benefits.
- You can add these almonds to your salads, smoothies, pack it as lunch with cranberries, etc.
The fact that you didn’t soak them isn’t a good enough justification to eliminate the nutrient-dense almonds from your diet.
Liked this recipe? Leave a comment below, rate it! It is super helpful for us and other readers. Be sure to follow us on FACEBOOK @RecipeForte.
Looking for more entrée recipes? Click here.