Making homemade pasta sauce seems difficult until you try it. You would be amazed to know, how surprisingly simple & inexpensive it is. Once you start making it at home, you’ll wonder why you were so dependent on jarred pasta sauces in the first place. This recipe gives a gorgeous, full-bodied deep orange colored sauce that will be the highlight of your pasta dinner.
It’s made with pantry basics like fresh tomatoes or canned crushed tomatoes (if you prefer). It is extremely fast to make even on a hectic weekday. There are as many tomato sauce recipes as there are cooks who create them. It is simple to tailor this sauce to your preferences or the food you’re preparing.
You may also adjust the seasoning to suit another recipe, or add veggies or meat for a heartier pasta main course. Our family favorite is to use penne pasta with this sauce for regular pasta in a pan dish. Sometimes we add handmade or frozen meatballs for an easy and delicious spaghetti and meatball dinner.
Tomato & Pepper Pasta Sauce
- 1 Red capsicum, roasted, deseeded & quartered
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 3 Garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 ½ Tbsps. Olive oil
- 1 Lb. Fresh tomatoes, (454 gms.) roasted, peeled & quartered
- 1 Tsp Dried oregano
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Black pepper, freshly ground
- Add olive oil to the pan on medium heat.
- Add garlic, chopped onions. Stir for a couple of minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes and mix.
- Add chopped bell peppers.
- Add salt, ground black pepper, and dried oregano.
- Stir for 5-8 minutes on medium heat.
- Cover with the lid & cook till tomatoes turn mushy. Note – the bell peppers will not turn mushy, only soft.
- Turn off the heat & let the mixture cool down.
- Transfer into a blender and blend into a smooth pasta sauce. Alternatively, leave it a little chunkier if you prefer it that way.
- Finally, do a taste test to check the tanginess from the tomatoes. Add sugar if it tastes tangy, adjust other seasonings according to your taste.
- Your perfect tomato & pepper pasta sauce is ready to use, with your choice of pasta. Enjoy!
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
- Alternatively, bake bell pepper, onion, garlic with a dash of olive oil in a baking tray.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes at 350° F or until everything is tender.
- Transfer to a blender when cool, add all the seasoning.
- Blend into a smooth or chunky pasta sauce.
- Adding canned tomato paste thickens and adds richness to the sauce.
- Adding vegetables like celery, carrots, green bell pepper will give hearty pasta sauce.
- I personally cannot help but add few red chili flakes to bring on the heat.
- This sauce can be easily stored for 7-10 days in refrigerator in a clean air-tight container. Although I highly doubt, it would last that long!
Liked this recipe? Leave a comment below, rate it! It is super helpful for us and other readers. Be sure to follow us on FACEBOOK @RecipeForte.
Add this TOMATO & PEPPER PASTA SAUCE to this ULTIMATE HONEYCOMB PASTA BAKE or check out our latest recipes on the BLOG.
Looking for more entrée recipes? Click here.