HOW TO COOK PERFECT, FLUFFY AND DELICIOUS PEAS RICE
WORLD CUISINE | SIDE DISH
Growing up, our family had a weekly schedule of going to local farmer’s market to buy fresh fruits and vegetables. Farmer’s market always had a special allure for me. I remember being submerged in the sea of vivid colors of fruits and vegetables in all shapes and sizes, the aromas of freshly baked goods and do not even get me started on the flowers! Fast forward a few decades, I am prepping ingredients to cook this Asian fluffy peas rice aka matar chawal for my family. As I am shelling this seasonal legume – fresh peas from the pods…I cannot help but reminisce these beautiful memories from my childhood. Classic, quick, and easy but enchanting with aromatic herbs – this simple mouth-watering dish only needs 2 main ingredients – basmati rice and green peas.
Peas Pulao (cooked the Asian way) is easy delicious and one pot recipe. It is defined as vegetarian comfort food and makes for a perfect pairing with almost any curry or gravy dish. It needs very little effort and prep time to cook. The best thing about peas pulao is, it is very nutritious and fulfilling to one’s carb craving. It does not overload the stomach and is easily digestible.
WHY THIS RECIPE IS SO EASY THAT ANYONE CAN COOK IT?
- This recipe does not need special equipment, instant pot or rice cooker. A simple pot with lid that fits, is all you need. Of course, not to forget a kitchen stove too.
- I have used basmati rice here; you can use any kind of rice you have in your pantry.
- The water & rice ratio is extremely easy to remember. Once you cook it 2-3 times, you will never need to google –“How to cook perfect rice”, again.
A LITTLE BACKGROUND ON PEAS PULAO
It is one of the dying recipes of AWADHI CUISINE (present day – Uttar Pradesh, a state in India) because very few people knew about it.
It was the secret recipe of NAWABS of Awadh. Later, it trickled down to public with various versions. It is favorite of one and all whether rich or poor; young or old. Once you start cooking it, your entire house will be filled with it’s aroma.
You can enjoy peas rice with any gravy or sauce dish, raita or you can simply eat it by itself without any side. Today I am serving it for lunch with Paneer in creamy nutty sauce (Begum-e-Paneer) and potato raita as our long weekend celebration.
CHECK OUT OUR VIDEO!!!
Take a look at my video for step-by-step instructions and all the details. Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
ASIAN FLUFFY & DELICIOUS PEAS RICE
- 1.5 Cup Basmati Rice soaked and washed
- ¾ Cup Peas fresh or frozen, shelled
- 2 ¾ Cup Water
- 1.5 Tsp Lemon juice
- ½ Tsp Salt
- 1.5 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 piece Bay Leaves
- 1 Piece Black Cardamom
- 2 Piece Green Cardamom
- 5-6 Piece Black Peppercorns
- 2 Tbsp Ghee ,alternatively use unsalted butter or cooking oil
- Heat ghee in a deep non-stick pan
- Add cinnamon, black peppercorns, green cardamom, bay leaves, black cardamom, and cumin seeds. Sauté till fragrant/ slightly brown.
- Add rice and sauté well till the water dries up.
- Add peas on lowest heat and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add salt and water with lemon juice, mix well.
- Let the mixture come to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Gently stir to mix the peas, cover, and leave for another 5 minutes.
- Check to see if all the water is absorbed. If not, cover & leave for 2 more minutes.
- Take off the heat & let it sit for 5 minutes.
- White & fluffy peas rice is ready to be served.
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @Recipeforte so we can share what you’re cooking!
Looking for more entree recipes? Click here.